Masking and Faux Masking, One Card Four Ways



Hey everyone!  Miriam here sharing a set of cards using masking and faux masking techniques.

I set out to make a really simple card using my new Welcome Home set, and ended up with four cards featuring the same basic design.

I started by stamping the sign image on masking paper and then fussy cutting it to place over the stamped image on my actual panel.  I also added masking tape (I'll link to it below) around the edges of the panel.  Then I did some simple blending.  Once that was done, I added the sentiments, adhered it to the base and done.



Then, I thought I would try a different method of masking that I haven't done in a while, using Frisket masking fluid.  The image was stamped on watercolor paper using Versafine, then I added the Frisket and waited for it to dry.  Once dry, I added some simple watercoloring.  After that was fully dry, I carefully rubbed the Frisket off and popped the panel up on the card base with foam tape.



Not everyone has Frisket, and there's a lot of waiting around for things to dry with the prior technique, so I thought I would try to fake it with watercolors.  In this next card, I simply watercolored around the image.  Before I started, I wet all the background areas with water and then worked quickly to add the watercolor making sure that the edges stayed wet as I went.  You do need to work quickly with this method which is why I stuck with just one color.



Once it was dry, I felt like it needed a pop, so I carefully traced around the image with a Copic marker to set it off from the background, and then I popped the entire panel up on the card base.



Finally, I wanted to try and recreate the crisp cleanness of the initial masked image with Copics, but I thought that it would be too tough to do the blending in the middle of the panel, so I opted for a simpler look, blending to a lighter color on the edges of the panel.



For this one I also went in with that slightly darker shade of color around the edges of the image to make it pop.



So four different ways to achieve that masked look.  Thanks for stopping by and hope you are having a great week!

Other Supplies Used:

2 comments

Back to Top